1. avatar Javashrine
    Anyone know where to get a 240V - 110V stepdown transformer that'll draw at least 300W from the wall for a decent price?

    I can get a 3300 one for 50 odd quid, but I was looking for something smaller to run just an amp. Edited by: Javashrine at: 26/5/04 1:54 pm
  2. avatar rahamilton
    I was in Maplin on the Boucher Road Belfast yesterday. They had two sizes, from memory, 200 watt and 300 watt for about £29.99 and £39.99. There was also a 500 watt mentioned, although there didn't appear to be any in stock. Check the wattage rating plate at the back of your amp and allow about 30-50% extra safety margin. This is not the output power watts, but the watts drawn from the power supply. Sometimes expressed as VA. Volts X Amperes = Watts. They were compact, about 100x100x100mm, although the recommendation was to "Mount it Somewhere" - I'll leave that bit to you, but you could maybe screw it to the base of your amp if it's a combo, or put it in a small ventilated box and leave it lying behind.

    Good Luck.

  3. avatar Javashrine
    The guy from Mesa Boogie said I need at least 750 Watts, plus, he mentioned something about it being a non-centre tapped transformer.
    I know what that is, but I don't know if they're as common as centre tapped.
  4. avatar Paulw0t
    Call maplin or check RS out they are bound to have something like that
    is there site but I always call them up cause there sites a bugger to find stuff on.
  5. avatar Javashrine
    Ok, tried both Maplin an RS.
    The guy in Maplin didn't have a clue what I was talking about, but then he could hardly put a sentance together, and RS only have Non-centre tapped step-downs that go up to 300W.

    So still in a pickle if anyone has any ideas...?
  6. avatar tinpot anto
    Might be better trying to phone some of the trade wholesalers, at the very least they'd know what you were talking about.
  7. avatar no coffee no workee
    building suppliers are yer best bet apparently according to my sparkie mate.
    something about site regulations require spark stuff to be 110V.
  8. avatar feline1
    I got a petite one for my 110V Roland CR78 from StudioSpares....

  9. avatar Javashrine
    I know all about the building site ones, we already have one for our PA amp and it works fine, but when I use it for the bass head it picks up some unwanted noise, especially if I DI through the desk into the main mix, so the guy from Boogie said to get a non-centre tapped one.
    The site ones are centre tapped and a lot more common than non.

    I could just buy the actual internal part for the amp but thats £150, so feck that if I can get a transformer for half that!!